Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 15:59:31 +0100
From:      aledm@pavilion.co.uk (Aled Morris)
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-platforms@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What Platform?

At 12:49 PM 25/7/95 +0000, Matt Thomas wrote:
>One DEC part number to check out is the EBP20-BA ($1170) which uses a
>lowend Alpha.

Well, just so you get a feel for what it's like out here in the sticks,
I've been trying for two days now to get anyone to commit to being able
to supply this product.

Digital sell "exclusively" (i.e. except when they don't) through distributors
in the UK, and giving these people the slightest hint that the product
isn't an Intel PC is enough to make them hang up the phone :-(

Only one distributor admitted that the part code existed ("but we can't
supply it") and gave me a price - GBP780.  Other reactions ranged from
"we only do PCs" to "it doesn't exist - we called Digital and they told
us you must have got the part code wrong".

Eventually I have tapped into Digital's support centre, who concede it
does exist but are reticent to supply it.  They are going to give me
a call back with ordering details.

This board does have Unix PALcode, right?

I have a terrible feeling that going this route is a mistake, I mean,
if I can't even buy the product, what hope is there of getting any
technical support for porting a Unix kernel to it will I get?

Come back DEC Direct, all is forgiven!

Now, what was the PowerPC motherboard part code...

Aled
--
telephone +44 973 207987