Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:36:00 +1000
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-questions@mawer.org>
To:        Bruce Caruthers <bkc-freebsdlists@dreamfire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel G965 chipset?

On 14/07/2007 8:07 AM, Bruce Caruthers wrote:
> === My Question:
> So, can I use an Intel motherboard with the 965
> chipset?  If not, what is the latest chipset I can
> use which will meet my needs?

We use the 965 based boards for many of our servers and they work fine -
the only gotchas I have come across has been the onboard IDE controller
is a Marvell ATA controller, and not supported by the drivers in
6.2-RELEASE. I made a back-port of the -CURRENT driver to 6.2 some
months ago and have not had any problems (although the CD-ROM connected
to said IDE channel is only used for the installation process!).

I would imagine that the driver is likely present in 6-STABLE and the
upcoming 6.3 release later this year.

--Antony