Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:05:11 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Evan S <kaworu@sektor7.ath.cx>
Cc:        Ty <infidel2112@home.com>, questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sblive installed, but no sound in 4.2

Evan S writes:
 > I think I had the same problem with my SB Live. I run a Dual Celeron. When
 > I would use xmms to play mp3s, nothing would come out of the speakers,
 > even though when I used cat /dev/sndstat it showed a correctly detected
 > and configured SB Live, on irq 18, which used to work fine in Linux.
 >
 > Finally, out of curiosity, I opened up the case and moved my SB Live to
 > PCI slot 2. Then it was on irq 16, and it worked.

There are many issues with sound playing in fbsd, a lot of them depend
heavily on what software you run.  I run Gnome and I often get notices
from software about not being able to open /dev/dsp.  This is usually
related to not having ESS configured correctly.  I have also noticed
that if I leave pysol running (even with the sound server disabled) it
sucks up all the sound from any app started *after* pysol.

Another thing to check is to hit the PAUSE key when your system boots
and displays the PCI configuration.  Study it carefully and look for
things with the same interrupt.  Theoretically, all PCI devices are
supposed to be able to share interrupts, but in practice sblive can't
handle it.  Move the cards around and try again.

I spent many hours pulling out what little hair I have left searching
for these answers.  If you are running Gnome, you have to enable sounds
to get the esd started.  Then you have to restart Gnome to get
everything working.  If you are running KDE, I have no thoughts to help
you.

/Joe