Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:59:02 -0800
From:      Artem Belevich <fbsdlist@src.cx>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Support for SAS/SATA non-RAID adapters

Hi,

> If that one uses the LSI1068 chipset, do you know which one uses the
> LSI1078 chipset?

Supermicro's AOC-USAS-H8iR uses LSI1078:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-USAS-H8iR.cfm

Dell PERC 6/i is based on LSI1078 as well.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/pvaul/topics/=
en/us/raid_controller?c=3Dus&l=3Den&cs=3D555

However, these cards are full-blown RAID controllers with their own
CPU, memory and corresponding price.

> =A0I've seen that number in the comments in one of the mf* drivers (think=
 it was mfi).

Yes, it is indeed mfi that supports LSI1078.

> How does one determine which actual chipset is in which controller? =A0Do=
 they have that buried in the docs somewhere?

The docs, if you're lucky. Cards listed above mention controller chip
explicitly on the product pages.

--Artem