Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 06:27:25 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows vs. FreeBSD: Changing Times

> For those of you who don't know, Windows will automatically
> change your CMOS clock to reflect the correct time after the time change.
> Or you can do it manually.  Either way, that clock needs to be set to the
> correct local time in order for the Windows system time to be reflected
> correctly.

Yet another reason not to use Windoze.

> Unfortunately, FreeBSD seems to do an intelligent translation that
> automatically adds one hour to the CMOS time during the Daylight Time
> period.  This is all good, except that when Windows sets the clock ahead
> one hour and then FreeBSD adds one hour in software...well, you see where
> this is going.  Somebody (Windows or FreeBSD) is going to have the wrong time.

Well, Windoze is *always* going to have the wrong time.  The
*right* time is UTC and local time is derived from that.

> Is there a simple way around this problem?  Can I tell FreeBSD that even
> though we're in Daylight Time that it should take the CMOS clock as the
> current local time?

Well, since you are asked at FreeBSD install time whether you
set your CMOS clock to wall clock time or to UTC, that's a clue.
Read the man page for adjkerntz to see how FreeBSD handles the
CMOS clock when it's set to local time.  (I have no idea if it
works, since I've never been guilty of running a Microsoft OS on
my computers and always run my CMOS clock on UTC.)

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>