Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:46:36 +0100
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Perry Riggle <priggle@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RDP

Chad Albert wrote:
> This is for Linux, but it is a project to replace Windows Terminal
> Services,

[snip]

I read the OP as an interest in replacing the Windows 2000 server, not
anything client-side. Assuming that's right...

If you replace this W2K box with a FreeBSD server, you can provide
replacements for pretty much everything the Windows box can do (*full*
Exchange functionality being a possible exception), and add some new
stuff. You can certainly give users the ability to bring up a remote
desktop on the server and do work, including creating (word processing)
documents and spreadsheets. VNC is perhaps the best option for Windows
clients, you could carry on using rdesktop.

In fact, while Windows was designed as a single user system, and
terminal services is a sort of bolt-on afterthought, FreeBSD is a
multi-user environment from the ground up.

But they'll be using a FreeBSD desktop. You can provide a nice window
manager and a full office suite. It won't be the Windows GUI and it
won't be MS Office. There may be retraining issues and also probs with
backwards compatibility with previously created documents - depends how
many Office features the users are taking advantage of. Simple documents
are fine. Complicated, Visual Basic-ridden stuff won't work well or at all.

Having said that, it would be a step into a brighter future to make this
replacement :-)

Peter.