Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:01:57 +0100
From:      Martin Faxér <gmh003532@brfmasthugget.se>
To:        Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: No FM synthesizer in PCI soundblasters?

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:51:17 +0100
"Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org> wrote:

> The system is currently running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE, and it has no "vchans".
> Since what version of FreeBSD is this feature included?

I'm not quite sure... It should definitely be in 4.5-RELEASE, and I think
4.4-RELEASE too. You could try searching the CVS logs or asking Cameron Grant.

> But I would still prefere to use a FM synthesizer for this job, since I only
> want some beep's.
> Having the kernel mix two streams into one looks to me as a waste of
> CPU-cycles on the Pentium-133 I set up for this job, if it is also possible
> to just turn on/off a simple tone and let the soundblaster take care of the
> mixing...

Actually, I think that FM synthesizer support in -STABLE isn't really mature,
if it even exists at all (although I'm not 100% sure, perhaps you'd be better
off asking Cameron Grant here too).

I don't think the vchan mixing will waste too many CPU cycles, if the upgrade
isn't a problem.