Date:      Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:08:50 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Micka=EBl_Can=E9vet?= <canevet@embl.fr>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   kmem_map too small with allocated < kmem_size

--=-bIP67wuDe7quxa7OUOkY

Hi,

I'm not sure it's the right place to post this issue, but I can't find
the right mailing list to post kernel issues. So, sorry if it's not the
ood one.

I had a kernel crash with a 64bits machine running 8.2-RELEASE.

The message was:

panic: kmem_malloc(1048576): kmem_map too small: 8658309120 total
allocated

I have 16GB of RAM and sysctl reports vm.kmem_size=3D16624558080.

some guys on freebsd-fs mailing list recommends me to grow kmem_map to
twice my memory (32GB) for ZFS and I will test that, but the question is
why my kernel crashed at around 8GB while kmem_map is set to around
16GB ?

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks a lot.

Micka=C3=ABl