Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:11:12 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

In message <19991016075251.D67481@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au> John Birrell writes:
: On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 01:57:24PM +0200, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
: > D2.
: > introduce TARGET_ARCH and TARGET_OBJ to specify for which architecture
: > and object format we are building (resp.). MACHINE_ARCH and MACHINE_OBJ
: > will be set to reflect the current (ie running) environment. This should
: > help fix P3.
:
: 'make' knows about MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH. 'sysctl' can tell us what
: the kernel thinks it is. We should stick to using these.

When I added TARGET_ARCH and TARGET I did it so that a make could be
built that hard wired MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH in the right way so
that the tools could be built.  Right now w/o them you have to have
your own, hand built cross compile tools.

: To cross-build, I don't need to set so many things. On i386, I just:
:
: export MACHINE=alpha
: export MACHINE_ARCH=alpha
: make world
:
: There are a few commits I will make RSN to allow others to do this too.

Hmmmm, I'd be keen on reviewing them.

Warner