Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:56:49 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ganbold <ganbold@micom.mng.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gnome update

Ganbold wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> Ganbold wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to update gnome to 2.16 using portmaster for more than 3
>>> days :(
>>
>> I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Are you sure you're
>> using the latest version of portmaster (1.9)?
>
> Yes.

Ok, good.

>>> 1. Every time after some error when I try to run portmaster -r
>>> pkg-config\*
>>> it starts from the beginning. Maybe there is some option to skip
>>> updated ports. How to tell portmaster to skip updated ports?
>>
>> By definition the -r flag means "update the ports that depend on this
>> port no matter what." Jeremy's suggestion of using the -i flag is a
>> good one though. You will only have to enter your choices (to build a
>> port or not) only one time, during the 'make config' stage.
>
> ok, but how do I know whether particular port was updated or not, if I
> didn't check before the port version?

If you're not sure, go ahead and let portmaster update it. Due to the
change from X11BASE to LOCALBASE this is a particularly important
upgrade.

>>> 3. While portmaster running, I manually updated libtheora port.  When
>>> portmaster reaches libtheora, it stops with error.
>>
>> It's not really a good idea to do that, but it's impossible to advise
>> you without knowing what the error was.
>
> When you make install certain port it complains to deinstall and
> reinstall again. So this is the error I forgot to mention.

Well, you're probably better off in that situation to just let
portmaster handle the update.

hth,

Doug