Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:55:19 -0500
From:      "Bara Zani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DSL/PPP disconnect problem ?

Hi to All ,
I'm facing a problem for over a month now with my FreeBSD gateway machine .
setup is pretty straight forward the box is a PII 333 with 256 mb of ram
I have two 3com cards and an Ethernet DSL modem from earthlink .
the problem is every once in a while ( could be 5 days or could be every few
hours ) my connection hangs and I need to restart ppp .
my ppp.log file shows nothing :
" Feb 27 11:46:14 ns ppp[641]: tun0: LCP: deflink: RecvEchoRequest(6) state
= Opened
Feb 27 11:46:14 ns ppp[641]: tun0: LCP: deflink: SendEchoReply(6) state =
Opened "
and this is the only lines in the log after a disconnect .
I upgraded from 4.4 to 4.5 stable but no luck .
I changed modem's network cards , filters on phone lines and so on .
I ended up with a script running from cron pinging two ip's i know are
alwayes up and
restarting ppp if they are not answering .
anyone had these problems ,
where can i look for a solution ( meaning what to look for , ppp errors
maybe increase logging ? )
thanks
barazani