Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 21:25:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: favorite ports?

On 3 Oct 2001, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:
>
> > 	$ cd /usr/ports
> > 	$ find . -maxdepth 3 -name pkg-descr | xargs more
>
> Nice idea.  I wondered by find's -exec wasn't used and I
> found out why, but at least it starts faster:
>
>     find /usr/ports -maxdepth 3 -name pkg-descr -exec \
>     sh -c "echo @@@@@ {} @@@@@ ; less -P '%f' {} " \;

I use this script in /usr/ports (which I call getdescr) with
the name of the category I'm interested in, e.g., ./getdescr mail | more

#!/bin/sh
for i in $1/* ; do
	if [ -d $i ]; then
	echo " "
	echo $i
	echo " "
	cat $i/pkg-descr
	fi
done
exit;

If send to a file, this produces a nice readable format.  The entire
set of pkg-descr files is some 800 or more pages.

I tried to list and comment on a few of the 5000 (at the time--there
are now closer to 6000) software programs in my book;  I excluded
foreign-language offerings (about 600) and programming stuff,
concentrating on those of more immediate interest to individual users
(rather than ISPs and sysadmins etc.).  Even then it was quite a task.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC