Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:30:58 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tell the user we're booting

On Oct 7, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Devin Teske wrote:

>=20
> On Oct 7, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>=20
>> On Oct 7, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Devin Teske wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I'd like to propose a small (tiny even) patch to sys/boot/forth/loader.=
4th
>>>=20
>>> Said patch will echo "Booting=85" before invoking the kernel.
>>>=20
>>> This patch would effect every architecture (even those that don't use t=
he beastie menu).
>>>=20
>>> The reason for proposing this tiny change is that as of 9.0-R I've noti=
ced a significant lag between executing "boot" and getting something on-scr=
een to show that something is happening.
>>=20
>> 	This is probably the memory test (set "hw.memtest.tests" to "0" in load=
er.conf and see if that speeds things up).

woah-nelly! I don't think I can count "one" before I see stuff show up on-s=
creen. That's surely-it.

>> Regardless, I think it'd be a good thing to have.

Excellent, I'll move forward with the tiny patch. Thanks. Glad to improve t=
he responsiveness (even if-only perceived).
--=20
Devin

P.S. You'll notice in the patch a ``strange'' ANSI color (37;44) when loade=
r_color=3DYES, that's white-text on blue-background. That's a color that we=
've been using for nearly a decade and it seems to work quite well. I think=
 I read somewhere that blue is very soothing and calming (and that Disney k=
nows this very well -- and is why they use a specific percentage of blue in=
 their movie previews). But hey, =85 we *could* change it (/me runs to comm=
it ^_^)

>> Thanks!
>> -Garrett
>>=20
>> PS Got patch?
>=20
> Here's patch:
>=20
> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confident=
ial. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message =
and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any =
manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be awa=
re that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and rev=
iew by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.