Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 14:38:21 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Removeable media support

On Sun, 2 Apr 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> Oooh, are the flopticals really by Iomega?

    I don't know, I just grabbed those messages off the mailing list
archive on www.freebsd.org.

> I've got hold of one (it's
> only borrowed, i've attached it just out of interest), and it
> identifies itself as ``Insite'' (which it is also labelled):
>
> (bt0:6:0): "INSITE I325VM        *F 0387" is a type 0 removable SCSI 1

    This is the model that I have.

> sd1(bt0:6:0): Direct-Access
> sd1(bt0:6:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
> sd1(bt0:6:0): Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
> sd1: could not get size
> 0MB (0 512 byte sectors)
>
> I could not get it to write anything.  Neither on standard floppies
> nor on flopticals.  I've once trashed a floppy with it, it required
> some 20 formatting cycles to get it alive again...

    This is booting with a formatted floptical in place?  I had
problems with the floptical on the GS until I upgraded the ROM on my
SCSI controller to recognize a removeable SCSI device that could have
changing sector sizes and block densities (it was doubling as a
1.44-meg floppy drive).

> I'm still interested to get it working, albeit with low priority.

    No real need to have a floptical working, but I thought it would
be nice to have around.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org