Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:49:40 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 <-> NAT <-> IPv4 ... possible?

--nextPart10564751.1cM7D7juYb

On Friday 19 October 2007, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Could I hide an IPv6 network behind NAT?  I don't know if that is even
> possible ... the IPv6 IPs would be private (equiv to 192.168.x.x) ...
> basically, none of the hosts behind NAT need a public IP, *but* I may
> end up with more then 256 hosts, so was wondering if using IPv6 behind
> the NAT would be 'simplier' ...
>
> If possible, pointers to docs to read would be appreciated ...

Possible - yes.  Practical - no.  There are a couple of techniques=20
available that can provide the functionality you are looking for.  All of=20
them solve a subsection of the problem, but there is no - to my=20
knowledge - complete sollution.

The three main technologies are:
1) TRT (implemented through faith(4) / faithd(8))
2) Header translation (I don't know if we have this implemented anywhere)
3) (Transparent) application proxies
     - there are patches for squid - IIRC

=46or 1 and 3 you have to run a AAAA to A translating DNS server.  2 is the=
=20
most "transparent" one, but I don't know if there is an implementation=20
available.

All in all, it's a PITA.  Much, much worse than NAT.  For the moment - if=20
you want your clients to do more than just surf webpages - you want NAT. =20
If it's only about surfing WWW you could try a (transparent) web proxy on=20
your dual stack router, but don't expect to find a lot of documentation!

=2D-=20