Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:19:50 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Resuming old EFI project

>>> There's been quite a bit of work in this space and people are already
>>> booting their laptops and such from the UEFI enabled boot loader.
>>
>> That's excellent.  I had assumed nobody had worked on it.
>
> This will be part of 10.1, by the way.

Yes, the basic support is already in 10.1 and UEFI-capable snapshots
will be available throughout the beta and release candidate process.
For 10.1 I think we'll provide separate conventional (BIOS-only) and
dual-mode USB stick and CD images to avoid unexpected regressions.

>> Well, I had been trying to get it to boot on a mac EFI implementation as
>> well.  There's some funny things that have to happen there (notably, an HFS+
>> image).

The current code does work on MacBook Airs, with a caveat that the
loader is not displayed (we don't force a switch to text mode).  There
is a patch in progress to address this which should arrive shortly.

There is an additional issue that affects MacBook Pros which remains
to be diagnosed: the system appears to hang immediately after the
loader transfers control to the new kernel.

>> I know there's also some secure booting features in EFI (my new laptop
>> supports them), not sure if anyone's done anything with them.

We had a plan for a very basic level of Secure Boot support using
Matthew Garrett's shim loader.  It relied on having Microsoft sign the
shim, but that easy plan is no longer viable due to changes in
Microsoft's policy for signing third-party UEFI software.  It's
definitely still on the roadmap, it just will take additional effort.

-Ed