Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:32:46 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        David Powers <dnpowers@swbell.net>
Cc:        doug.fee@unisys.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LPR spool size limit

David Powers wrote:
> What kind of setup are you using, I happen to know that some of the newer HP
> jet direct interfaces have trouble with large print jobs.  I've had this
> problem with any of the EIO based print servers they ship.

Well, the one place has a dozen or so laser printers set up through Intel
network "print servers" (as they're called) and everything is run off a
FreeBSD machine that uses Samba to share the queues to various Windows
machines.  We've never had problems with print jobs.  Some of them get
pretty big, but I don't think we've ever gotten over 500 pages in a single
print job.
Another client has a Phaser color laser printer, and on certain days of
the week (like, the day before a client arrives) the designers are printing
scores of photo-quality images to this thing (it runs through a FreeBSD print
server as well) and occasionally they'll fill up the /var partition when
the queue fills up with dozens of multi-megabyte print jobs.  I've recommended
they buy a cheap 30G ATA drive so that I mount /var there where there'll be
plenty of space, but they'd rather "just be careful".  Now that they know
what causes the problem, it happens less.
Other than that, I don't know of any of my clients who are printing anything
even remotely as large as what Doug's describing.

-Bill

> [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Bill Moran
> doug.fee@unisys.com wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Does anyone know of a way to print large (>500 pages) documents?  For
>>example, when I spooled a 603 page document lpr choked.  It truncated
>>the file.  I tried setting the mx=0 option in the printcap file but to
>>no avail.  Can LPR even print large documents?  If not, does anyone have
>>any alternatives?
>>

> How large is your spool file?  The only time I've seen lpd choke on a
> file is when the file filled up the partition.  How much space do you
> have available in /var/spool?
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technology