Date:      Sat, 02 Sep 2006 06:22:13 -0500
From:      Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sparkling Brand New FreeBSD Admin

Keith Phipps wrote:

>    My questions really come down to this; I'll be working with 4.x and
> 6.1 boxes. Are there any global issues with them I should be concerned
> about, something you guys as admins have to deal with regularly. The
> boss also said something that confused me, said I'd need to make the
> builds and compile php, perl, and mysql into the Kernel. I've never done
> much Kernel work (much, lets start with any) but it's always been my
> understanding that with BSD if I wanted to install PHP, PERL, and MySQL
> on a box, I'd just pkg_add it. I've never heard of it actually being
> compiled in the kernel.

I think that you misunderstood... mod_perl and mod_php can be compiled
into Apache web server, though.

>    Right now my biggest resources have to be google and the O'Reilly
> book "Essential Sys. Admin." but I'd like to have a reference guide more
> suited to only the FreeBSD platform. Any recommendations on this as well?

I found 'AbsoluteBSD' by Michael Lucas useful. I also run OpenBSD on my
Internet-exposed web and mail servers, and found 'Absolute OpenBSD' by
Michael Lucas equally useful.

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.       http://robertwittig.net/