Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:16:13 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.2 Beta?

Thus spake Paul T. Root (proot@horton.iaces.com):

> 	I CVSupped "tag=RELENG_4" and when I built it this
> morning it was 4.2 Beta. It seems to come up fine. However,
> when I tried to build my custom kernel, it doesn't like the options
> for SMP. Specifically NCPU and NBUS. Are these no longer needed?

These two options have been removed from GENERIC and LINT. It's usually
a good idea to base your new kernel on the new GENERIC/LINT you checked
out as part of your cvsup. So yes, I'd say the two options are no longer
needed.

> 	This machine isn't in production yet. But I'm replacing an
> old machine with it in a few weeks. So, what tag do I use to go
> back to 4.1-Stable (4.1.1-Stable?). Or do I even want to? I'm guessing
> it basically the same thing, and that we'll be hearing from Jordan
> any time now?

You're right; you are still on RELENG_4. Typically as we get close to a
new release the value reported by uname -r will change. After
4.2-RELEASE is unleashed, subsequent CVS updates will put you back
on 4.2-STABLE.

Regards,

Nick