Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2018 05:59:16 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <jude.obscure@yandex.com>
To:        jungle Boogie <jungleboogie0@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to detect single user mode in FreeBSD ?

On 06/14/18 05:09, jungle Boogie wrote:
> Describe the problem you want to solve, not how.

The problem is this:

I am writing a shell script which can run fsck on all UFS / ext2 /ext4
hard disk partitions listed in /etc/fstab.

The script should be portable and be able to run no matter whether the
OS running is FreeBSD or Linux. The only thing that matters is that the
commands fsck_ufs / fsck.ext2 and fsck.ext4 are available.

Ideally, the script should run only under single user mode, or else bail
out immediately.

Linux has a clean way to find out whether the system is in single user
mode. I would think, no matter what others on this list have said,
sysctl under FreeBSD too should have a variable for indicating single
user mode. But there currently is not any.

Tx and Regards
Manish Jain