Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 15:13:10 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: socket buffers and condition variables

  > well, that won't be a valid assumption for bug so long anyways as
  > cv's wont' have their own queue forever but will probably share their
  > queue's with tsleep in the future.  It's an implementation detail.

John is right.  This is the way Solaris implements condition variables,
for example.

  > I don't care if you use cv's instead of sleep/wakeup since cv's are
  > often used with mutexes

I do.  I think we should stick w/ sleep/wakeup unless there's a good reason
to change the code.  There are places where condition variables are the
better choice, by design and not by implementation detail, but this isn't one
of them.

  > reduced contention isn't really a valid reason to use them.

Since this task is
  A. questionable
  B. not needed to lock up the networking stack
can we remove it from the SMP todo roadmap?  We can always do it later
if it does turn out to be a good idea.