Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:44:40 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

Dave Yost wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been endlessly hashed and rehashed here.  I've just joined the mailing list.

It has :-D

[snip]

> First order of business, I think is that http://www.freebsd.org/ must have a prominent main heading:
>   FreeBSD vs. linux and others
> which leads to some simple, forthright information suitable for nontechnical journalists and TV news people.  It should also have a big, forbidding table with lots of X marks for stuff FreeBSD has that linux doesn't and as much technical backup material as possible.

This is a good idea, although not as the _main_ heading. Expand to
include Solaris, NT, W98, etc.

> Once that foundation is in place, the work can really begin.
>
> Second order of business, I think, is to make as much of a P.R. splash as possible that FreeBSD is looking for a new, flashy name so it can better compete for mindshare with linux.  A write-in campaign to the press on this matter would be great.  The end result of this may in fact be to stick with the name, but the PR attention will be good.

This has been hashed ad infinitum. FreeBSD it stays. If you want to
change the name you can always cut your own CD's, tnx to BSD license.

Jordan is 'in progress' on this @ WC-CDROM.

> There is a lot more that can be done, but these three are the high-order bits in my mind.

Keep suggesting... :-)

> Thanks

Thank you, Dave. Welcome to the BSD community, as Kirk McKusick says.

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *