Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 23:41:54 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   disklabel -- owner?

Is there an owner for disklabel?

I ask this because I have, over the years, grown to really really
really loath having to deal with this program.  With all of its
oddities, and you gotta set this right or that right, or or or or or.

So, I'd like to fix at least some of them.  Is there someone that I
should coordinate with?

Heck, I'd be happy to try to rewrite the whole fdisk/disklabel junk
into a nice, easy to use script.  sysinstall is OK, but it isn't as
nice as I'd like.  Is there a need for this, or are people generally
happy with the tools we have?

Yours in frustration,

Warner

P.S. I wasted several hours wondering why my new machine wouldn't boot
off of its new disk.  Turns out thats because the "TYPE" field in the
label wasn't SCSI, so it installed IDE boot blocks and paniced when it
tried to mount root.  disklabel should know better.  And don't even
get me started on fdisk...