Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:50:16 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Compiling in sound driver in kernel

On Friday 12 June 2009 04:43:46 Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > 	# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> > 	# cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
> > 	(or use any other descriptive name instead of MYKERNEL).
> > 	edit MYKERNEL and add
> > 		device sound
> > 		device snd_hda
> > 	# cd /usr/src
> > 	# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> > 	# make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> > 	# reboot
>
> why not:
>

> edit MYKERNEL
> config MYKERNEL
> cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
make obj
> make depend
> make
> make install
>
> ?

Because it is more typing? One can actually put KERNCONF in /etc/src.conf. In
fact, one can put multiple kernel files in KERNCONF and the first one in the
list will be the one installed, all will be built. This is how I share kernels
over nfs to multiple machines from one build machine by mounting /usr/src and
/usr/obj on the target machines and just running make installkernel. The
target machines have their kernelname set in their own /etc/src.conf.
--
Mel