Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:13:35 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>, Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Project to improve FreeBSD PR

On 27 Jan 2003 at 13:16, Michael Lucas wrote:

> Please, let's not reinvent the wheel.  I don't want to squash anyone's
> enthusiasm, really, but what we need are solid advocacy materials to
> hand to wanna-be advocates, not Yet Another PHP-based News Posting
> Board.  Writing those things is fun, but it's not what needs to be
> done.  :-(

What he said...  I like the passion being shown, but we have lots of
news sites.  What we need is advocacy sites.  Advocacy != news.

Think more of terms of the following types of questions:

- Why should I choose FreeBSD over ABC?
- Where can I find brochures to distribute at this conference I'm
going to?
- Why should my boss choose FreeBSD instead of ABC?
- I've been using the XYZ distro for years.  How is FreeBSD different
from that?

I think the main goal of an advocacy site is to make advocacy easier
for those that wish to get the word out.  We have lots of people who
are very enthusiastic about FreeBSD.  What they need is information
to help them inform others about FreeBSD.  They are your target
market.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/