Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:59:51 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, dg@root.com, ben@narcissus.ml.org, obrien@nuxi.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL

>> >This is why the FSF requires that all submitters of code to their tools
>> >sign over the Copyright to the FSF, which apparently will make sure the
>> >code is always free.  (Although last night I had a interesting
>> >discussion on that point where it would be possible that the code could
>> >become 'non-free')
>> ENQ?  Point: The FSF has accepted large amounts of code (ie, I believe
>> all of the code from its major hackers) on the stipulation that it
>> will be forever free.
>What if the FSF were 'dissolved' for some reason (say due to the death
>of RMS), and a commercial company bought the assets (which includes all
>of the existing GPL code).  The code at that point would be the property
>of this company, who could decide to 'take it propriatary'.

The assimilating company would still have the stipulation on its
shoulders.  It is a legal contract, and by taking the code, they also
take all contractual obligations associated therewith.

>When a company/corporation no longer exists, it's assets and contractual
>obligations are up in the ari.

They are up in the air, and they will fall.  Because the obligation is
associated with the code, it comes as a package.

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the FSF's, my employer's, or my dog's.

Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi
sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped