Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:12:53 +0200
From:      Michel Oosterhof <m.oosterhof@xs4all.nl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kqueue

Hello.

Recently I started looking into kqueue(2), and to get to know the
interface better I attempted to turn usr.sbin/moused into a kqueue
program (replacing the main select() loop that reads the mouse
device).

Now I thought I understood the interface, I requested a kqueue, but
as soon as I add an event for monitoring I get an 'Operation not
permitted' error.  Does anyone know if this is caused because
kqueue() only supports FFS? The mouse device is on devfs (I'm running
-CURRENT, btw).

I've got one more question, actually a fact that surprises me, it
seems that tail(1) is the only place in the base system that actually
uses kqueue. Is there a reason for this? I read in most places
kqueue() is more efficient, scalable, etc. I'm sure code like ftpd
or other services would benefit. (And i'm sure Apache could use it
too).

michel

(I'm having some problems with my news reader software, or rather the
news posting software, so similar messages may appear).