Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:32:30 +0300
From:      Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev@moneybookers.com>
To:        syle ishere <syleishere@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which version to install for next 2-3 years?

Hi,

syle ishere wrote:
> I have a coloed box, OS on their now is ancient redhat 9.0, was
> thinking about new SMP support and mysql speed advancements in 7.0.
> I'd just hate to install 6.2 on it right now and thats way it stays
> for next 2-3 years if 7.0 is stable enough to use right now. I threw
> away freebsd boxes on 4.x branches because of SMP issues of it only
> using 1 processor for mysql etc, but I see alot has changed again.
> Server is a dell 2650, 8 gigs of ram, dual 3.2ghz xeon cpu's, 6 scsi
> drives. I use this box mainly for apache/php, mysql, qmail,bind, perl
> and asterisk c development time to time.
>
> If I download latest snapshot, cvsup latest 7release and just make
> world etc on it, would it be alright? I see the new scheduler for 7.0
> had some nice benchmarks for mysql.
Nobody can answer your question :) You should try it and if it works for
you then great.
I personally installed on my laptop FreeBSD 7 (current) few months ago
and I'm quite happy with it.
I also have dell 2650 running FreeBSD7 (i386) from Aug, and the only
thing that is not recognized is
"Embedded Systems Management Device" and even "ipmi" does work, but my
server is not heavily loaded.