Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuing sendmail on 4.x

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:

Look closely. I highly doubt that a host 206.77.96.8.taylor.isd.tenet.edu
exists on the schools network.

> stat=Deferred: Name server: 206.77.96.8.taylor.isd.tenet.edu.: host name
> lookup failure

My guess is a DNS problem. You see that the ip has an appended domain
name.

If your MX record in DNS does not have a period as the last character then
the domain name is automatically appended to the host name. I am also
guessing that your MX record points to 206.77.96.8 instead of lxmailhost.

DNS and sendmail are joined at the hip. If you ever see a host lookup
error in your logs, make sure DNS is set correctly.

Mail has to always look for your MX in order for it to get to its proper
place. Your hosts file is inconsequential.

I am going to guess that your MX record reads like:

	IN 	MX	0	206.77.96.8

With no dot at the end. This is wrong.

But should read like

	IN	MX	0	lxmailhost.taylor.isd.tenet.edu.

Note the dote at the end!!

Of course, my guesses may be way off base. But I doubt it. I have done
exactly this before myself! :)

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells