Date:      Tue, 01 May 2001 23:11:53 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Cc:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>, snap-users@kame.net, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au, altq@csl.sony.co.jp
Subject:   Re: (KAME-snap 4587) The future of ALTQ, IPsec & IPFILTER playing   together ...

Darren Reed wrote:

> In some email I received from Gunther Schadow, sie wrote:
> > Gunther Schadow wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > .... to make things even more complicated, we also have the
> > berkeley packet filter (BPF) mechanism. Heck! How could
> > so many things evolve that all do essentially the same
> > thing? The interesting thing about the BPF mechanism is
> > that it is very generic. Filter rules are instructions
> > of a virtual von-Neumann-machine (reminds me of 6502
> > assembler :-). Tcpdump uses BPF, at least on FreeBSD.
> > But I think BPF is available on all 4.4 BSD derivatives.
> >
> > where does this fit in the crowd?
>
> BPF uses a byte-code language, like Java, to tell the
> matching routine what bits to compare and return a "true or
> false".  i.e. you need to build things around it if you want
> to use it for packet matching, etc.

netgraph has a bpf node that can be programmed with BPF codes to do almost
any filtereing required.

(Netgraph can be used to do in-kernel tunnelling of almost any type
if you are willing to figure ot how to use it.)

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000-2001