Date:      Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:22:10 -0600
From:      "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   backup via dump to remote machine(5.2.1)

Ok. I know this is like kicking a dead horse, but I dont understand what I
am missing...

I have 2 machines - both identical hardware and running 5.2.1:

main
backup

the 'backup' machine has a tape drive in it and it works fine (all scsi).

I can rsh/login to either machine from the other (as root)...so I think my
/root/.rhosts file is setup ok....I used entries with host and entries with
FQDN to make sure I was covered...

However, when I try dump from main to backup it wont work...

/sbin/rdump -C 32 -0Laucf backup:/dev/nsa0 /dev/da0s1a

   DUMP: rshd: Login incorrect.
   DUMP: login to backup.mydomain.com as root failed.

and on the backup machine I see this in auth.log:

Feb 29 15:56:03 backup rshd[684]: root@main.mydomain.com as root:
permission denied (authentication error). cmd='/etc/rmt'

..What the heck am I missing here??
(I dont use any hosts.allow and have not modified them)

Please dont tell me to use something with ssh, as this is within my own LAN
and only for the backup purpose. Once I am done with the backup, I disable
the rshd in inetd.

Thanks for any pointers...

  -JDB