Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:27:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Sanda <as@psa.at>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   First year of FreeBSD...

[NOTE: this article has nothing technical, but since I assume most of
       the developers are reading here, I'am posting this here.]

Tomorrow, I will "celebrate" my 1-year anniversary with FreeBSD.

When I started with fbsd, I wasn't exactly an Unix newbie. In fact, I
have been using Linux and other Unices on non-x86 platforms for years
before.

I started with a stable -RELEASE (like every newbie should) and since
this day, I have installed about 20 boxes (sure, not very much) with
fbsd. About half a year ago, I started to follow -current on my home
box.

Some of them were running linux before, some of them are completely
fresh systems. Most of those boxes are acting as typical Intra/Internet
servers, performing www, ftp, mail, news, smb and various other
services.

None of those boxes *ever* crashed or had to be taken down due to an OS
fault. None of them ever lost a single bit of data, because of an OS
failure. Nuff said, imho...

The reason for posting this here, is that I just want to say "thank you"
to all the people involved in this wonderful project. They really
deserve it and I can imagine that it is not always easy to be involved
in such a big project.

Beeing a software engineer (or developer) is not always an easy job (I
have been involved in software development for years, just on another
"level").

In my opinion, FreeBSD gets way to few attention, but - who knows -
perhaps this is a better situation than beeing hyped all the time.

--
# /AS/                               http://privat.schlund.de/entropy/ #
# According to rumours, MS finally decided to delay the release of the #