Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 19:14:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Marc Wandschneider <MarcW@Lanfear.com>
Cc:        "'Jonathan Chen'" <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (use the ports luke!) RE: your mail

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Marc Wandschneider wrote:

> [...]

Why?  Why do you insist on compiling it yourself and then ask questions
on how to build it when:

a) you can just have easily done it out of ports
b) you could have looked at how the ports system 'fixes' the problem
   you're having.
c) someone worked hard on porting it for you.

Yes, I know rarely a port can install in such a way that isn't optimal
for you, but then that can easily be solved by using send-pr to ask
the port maintainer to assist you.

If you want to work on porting applications then work on something that
_isn't_ ported and submit it as a port, people will be glad to assist
you on the way.

-Alfred