Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 01:48:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        tv@wasabisystems.com
Cc:        bsd-api-discuss@wasabisystems.com
Subject:   Re: changes to BSD APIs for THREADS support

In article <mit.lcs.mail.freebsd-arch/20010826052748$3c50@traf.lcs.mit.edu> you write:

>Multithreaded process signal delivery.  There's an intricate way that this
>is handled in Solaris, as "async signals".  More prior art that's probably
>worth imitating for code compatibility's sake.

I think that POSIX fully (or at least elaborately) specifies this, and
note that POSIX does specify a mechanism whereby event notification
can instantiate a new thread; see the description of SIGEV_THREAD in
the Realtime Signals Extension.

One issue, though, is whether programming to meet only the POSIX
requirements is sufficient, or whether other, alternative threading
models should be supported more directly.  I'm agnostic on this issue
(especially since I'm not doing the work either way).  I'm not clear
on whether those other models would require anything substantually
different in the way of kernel support, and in any case that may well
be a dead end anyway and not worth the time to investigate.

-GAWollman