Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:12:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 SCSI Tape Driver

> Okay- I hear you both.
>
> What do you do with QIC drives which cannnot write 2FM then?

Can you give me a model of a QIC drive that has the ``can't write 2 FM's''
and I'll see if I can find one so that I can see this problem first hand
and propose a solution to it.  I find it extreamly hard to beleive that
you can't write 2 FM's, since that has been the standard logical EOT
marker on mag tape as far back as I go, and thats to the late 60's and
things like 200BPI 1/2 tape drives.

It may be a mixing of the other problem, in that the drive already does
write 2 FM and backspaces over one of them, if the drive does that and
you try to write another one it creates 3 fm's in a row, and that may
be a problem.

For Bob, I'll note that leaving only a single FM at logical EOT on a
tape will never causes data loss, you would just be able to read some
trashed data on certain tape drives (namily drives that do not have
an offset erase head) after the real data.  In no way is anyones data at
risk by not doing the double FM for logical EOT.  The tcopy command may
end up copying a whole pile of useless data is a concern though...

For Matthew, the blank check area that you say will always be there is
not correct, it depends on the tape transport design.  Only tape drives
with offset or seperate erase heads will have this condition.  This it
would be there for all forms of DAT, or for that matter helican scan tape
drives in general, and missing for most forms of QIC, or Serpintine tape
drives.

Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net