Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:30:42 +0200
From:      Koos Vriezen <k.vriezen@vgelder.com>
To:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvsweb version 3:3.0.1-1 diff problems (and howto debug this)

You wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 20:10, Koos Vriezen wrote:
>
> > The various projects show fine, also the history of a file works. What
> > doesn't work are the links from a file history page (and this did work
> > in the previous version). Eg. the links 'text'/'markeup' return the
> > same
> > history file. The 'preferred' link (for diff) shows a page with:
> >   Error: module/file.diff: no such file or directory
> > for file 'file' in module 'module'.
>
> Some shooting-in-the-dark questions:
> What do the URLs in the server's access log look like for each of these
> (text/markup/preferred) when you hit the links?  Do the "download",
> "annotated" and "colored" links work as expected?

download works, annotated AFAICS doesn't (but I never used this one) and
colored does not work either.
For revision 1.2 for file 'myfile' in module 'mymodule' for our
internal web server (www.intern):
preferred:
http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mymodule/myfile.diff?r1=1.1;r2=1.2
colored:
http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mymodule/myfile.diff?r1=1.1;r2=1.2;f=h
text:
http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mymodule/myfile?rev=1.2;content-type=text%2Fplain
markup:
http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mymodule/myfile?rev=1.2;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup
and a working one (download):
http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/mymodule/myfile?rev=1.2;content-type=text%2Fplain

colored/preferred both return that error page:
                  Error
  Error: mymodule/myfile.diff: no such file or directory
  FreeBSD-CVSweb <freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org>

> Which web server and browser do you use?

$ apt-show-versions apache2-mpm-prefork
apache2-mpm-prefork/testing uptodate 2.0.49-1

IE6 and konqueror-3.2.2

> Does it happen with all files in CVS, or just some of them?

All of them

> Anything in the server error log?

No (I guess you mean apache log files). Even not when commenting
"open(STDERR, '>', devnull())" (two cases).

> >  But what is the best way to debug these configuration errors?
>
> I don't know if they're configuration errors or plain bugs, and dunno
> about the best way to debug either, but one lowly approach is to insert
> some warn() statements in the code and watch the web server error log.

Recommendations where? Already tried just before the above error page is
generated:
line1380:
} else {
  my $fh = do { local (*FH); };
  my $module;
  # Assume it's a module name with a potential path following it.
  my $xtra = (($module = $where) =~ s|/.*||) ? $& : '';
warn("xtra: $xtra\nmodule: $module\nfh: $fh\n");

  # Is there an indexed version of modules?
  if (open($fh, "< $cvsroot/CVSROOT/modules")) {
  warn("$cvsroot/CVSROOT/modules opened\n");
    while (<$fh>) {

generates this when pressing 'preferred':
[Thu Jun 03 11:21:37 2004] [error] [client 192.168.1.106] xtra:
/myfile.diff, referer:
http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mymodule/myfile
[Thu Jun 03 11:21:37 2004] [error] [client 192.168.1.106] module:
mymodule, referer:
http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mymodule/myfile
[Thu Jun 03 11:21:37 2004] [error] [client 192.168.1.106] fh: *main::FH,
referer: http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mymodule/myfile
[Thu Jun 03 11:21:37 2004] [error] [client 192.168.1.106]
/var/smb/ontwikkel/cvs/CVSROOT/modules opened, referer:
http://www.intern/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mymodule/myfile

Btw, /var/smb/ontwikkel/cvs/CVSROOT/modules only contains lines starting
with '#'. But maybe cvsweb should even come to this part?

Thanks,

Koos

***************DISCLAIMER***************
Bewijs van Afstand:
Dit emailbericht is slechts bestemd voor de personen aan wie het is gericht
en kan informatie bevatten die persoonlijk of vertrouwelijk is en niet
openbaar mag worden gemaakt zonder goedkeuring van de auteur.
Indien u dit bericht per vergissing heeft ontvangen, verzoeken wij u ons op
de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te vernietigen zonder het te kopiëren of
te distribueren.
Ons bedrijf staat niet in voor juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud
van een verzonden bericht, noch voor de tijdige ontvangst daarvan.
Disclaimer:
This E-mail is for use of the intended recipient(s) only and can contain
information that is personal or confidential. It is prohibited to distribute
the content of this message without the author's prior permission.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and immediately
Our company is not responsible for the comprehensiveness of this message nor
it's time of delivery.