Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:51:37 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling under 5.x for 4.x releases?

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 09:43:01AM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > Can it be done with a command-line switch to the compiler or gcc, or am I
> > consigned to dual-booting?
>
> You mean building apps linked against 4.X libs vs. 5.X? With some creative
> -L flags you might be able to get it to not use /usr/lib/libc* and use
> /usr/lib/compat/libc* instead, which has copies of certain 4.X libs in it.
>
> Let us know if you get it working :)

Will play with that one....

> > I know the libraries are there for runtime, but can you build executables
> > for them?
>
> The executables are the exact same format.

The problem is that I have a lot of users on the 4.x release(s) of the OS,
and have binary apps that I'm supporting for them.  Linking static is an
option, but does ugly things to the file sizes.

Thus, wondering if I can link the other way and still have it run on a 4.x
box.  I guess it depends on what the application is and what dependancies
there are.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	Tired of spam at your company?  LOOK HERE!
http://childrens-justice.org	Working for family and children's rights