Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:27:14 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Subject:   Re: LUA ERROR: memory allocation error: block too big

Hi all,

to add to the argument made by Kyle:

> Am 03.06.2020 um 14:56 schrieb Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>:
> As an aside, I'd appreciate it if other folks in this thread could
> simply stop dumping all over the many many many hours of work that
> were put into getting lua into shape to replace the high-quality forth
> that was already in place. The reality is that lua won a popularity
> contest long ago [outside of a FreeBSD context][ and lowers the =
barrier
> to being able to hack on our loader menus, which should be viewed as a
> great thing.

I was equally annoyed at first because I happen to know a good deal of =
Forth
(and use HP calculators ;-) and my reasoning was like =E2=80=9ELua is =
just as exotic as Forth
so people need to learn the basics of a new language, anyway - why make =
*me*
relearn everything?=E2=80=9C

But in private conversation at one EuroBSDCon I learned that the =E2=80=9E=
bus factor=E2=80=9C
of the old bootloader (i.e. how many people have to be overrun by a bus =
make that part of the project unmaintainable because there is zero =
knowledge
left) was probably 2.

Which is a perfectly good reason to replace a piece of software with a =
new one
that hopefully more people understand. As for the choice of language I =
am actually
pretty agnostic and willing to learn whatever is needed to get a =
particular task done.

Just my 2ct.
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen
.infrastructure

Kaiserallee 13a
76133 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info@punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling, Daniel Lienert, Fabian =
Stein