Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:36:39 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        'Michael Lucas' <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: deleting XF863 w/o package?

I'm in a similar situation.  I have XF863 installed on my system.  I went to
XF86 website, downloaded the bin files for ver 4 and then used their upgrade
script to upgrade my system.  ASFAIK, I followed their instructions exactly
and didn't received any errors during the upgrade process.  However, when I
run X -showinfo (I think that's the command), it reports that I am still
using ver 3.6.

First question:  Does this command actually look at the Xserver and report
or does it just display the contents of some file?  In other words, am I
really running 3.6 or did some file not get updated during the upgrade?

Second question:  At this point, I would like to remove all traces of XF86
and KDE ver 1.x and start over as I have never gotten them to work properly.
I can only use them in root so I assume I have file permission problems.
Anyway, I'd like to start over.  What are the proper steps for cleaning my
system?

I have both the handbook and the Complete FreeBSD book so if there are
relevant pages, please point me there.  I am a newbie to both Unix and
FreeBSD but understand DOS and OpenVMS so I'm not new to command line
computing.

TIA for your help!

Drew