Date:      Tue, 25 May 2010 17:50:00 +0100
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Subject:   Re: AppleTalk status

On 25 May 2010, at 17:48, Julian Elischer wrote:

>> I'm working on updating net/netatalk to version 2.1 (or 2.1.1 when
>> that comes out the next couple of days), and I'm wondering what
>> state AppleTalk support is in these days. Is anybody still using
>> it, or would now be the time to make all AppleTalk support in that
>> port optional, and just focus on the file server component?
>>=20
>> I haven't used AppleTalk for at least eight years now, and I don't
>> quite see which setting it still would be used in nowadays...
>=20
> I did the original port to freeBSD (from a netbsd port from memory)
> I haven't checked recently but it was used by several companies =
running legacy stuff in some industrial control situations.
> In any case it's good having a working example of another  protocol
> as the world is getting a bit too focused on IP these days
> and having a different protocol in the sources keeps us honest.

FWIW, I have no intention of removing the kernel support for appletalk =
(or, perhaps more properly, ethertalk). It does want to be changed to =
use our link layer improvements in 8.x, but what is there today works =
fine and should continue to work fine for the forseeable future. =
Virtualizing for VIMAGE will probably take someone a couple of =
afternoons, and I tentatively plan to do it "at some point" before 9.0.

Robert=