Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:32:36 +1100 (EST)
From:      eodyna <eodyna@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   a little trouble with 5.2.1

hi there,

Work Recently purchased a dell optiplex gx280. They come with a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller and a 40g WD sata drive. When i installed 5.2.1 it complained that the disk geometey was incorrect(77504/16/63). I tried changing it to the correct (4863/255/63)setting by pressing (G) at the fdisk configuration screen, and the value 4863/255/63 was already entered in the pop up box. i saved it, and proceed with the rest of the install. At the network screen, it wasn't able to detect the network card. I was able to find that some people were able to get a 57xx working on their freebsd machine.
There are a few other areas with "no driver attached" such as disply and audio, but i haven't looked into those of yet.
After the installation completed i ran dmesg and the disk geometry didn't change to the new settings. Did i do something wrong with that?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get this sorted? Any reccomendations would be great.

my thanks
ams

ps: if you can cc me when responding id appreciate it as im not on the list.