Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 00:50:49 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Greg Quinlan <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: reboot by itself??!!

Greg Quinlan wrote:

> My machine reboots aswell but I wasn't doing any washing!
> I don't have any pets or plants either!
>
> That eliminates a couple of possibilities!
>
> It does not appear to be load based!
> My server has 5 10/100Mb xl? cards does just about everything on the
> network, and is heavily loaded.
> (It is more likely to reboot when it's idle.)
>
> I have switched on verbose logging for the firewall.
>
> I have compiled a new kernel with
> options "ICMP_BANDLIM"
> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
>
> Now I'll wait!

Just for the sake of mentioning it, there is a PR open related to
seemingly random reboots which were traced to:

On a Login: prompt, if some characters are typed but no <enter> is
pressed, and the screen saver is then activated, upon pressing a key
the system will panic/reboot.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem myself.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Well, Windows works, using a loose definition of 'works'..."