Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:37:20 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        rover@lglobus.ru, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there correct way for program to read from itself?

On Friday, 19 November 1999 at 16:16:49 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> What happened here?  Does he need a rehash command?  WHy can't it find
> copyme? (I'm just trying to learn something from all of this)

No, he didn't do anything wrong, except to expect me to write a
perfect program instead of an example.  The relevant part of the code
is:

  main (int argc, char *argv [])
  {
    int me = open (argv [0], O_RDONLY);

argv [0] gets set to the name of the program (copyme).  If I start it
via PATH, it's still just "copyme".  open(2) will fail if it doesn't
find it in the current directory, and worse, if it *does* find a file
of the same name, it will open it instead of the correct file.

Greg