Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 00:16:28 +0200
From:      "Dimitri Nedeltchev" <dimitripn@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   user-ppp, named and squid

hi there,

I have a freeBSD 5.0 RELEASE machine acting as a Dial-Up router and proxy
for a LAN with 1 ISP Dial-Up account. I have user-ppp, named and squid.
when all are enabled in the rc.conf file the machine hangs at boot time just
before it says "i386 initialisation" or something like that.... Then I press
Ctrl-C and everything carries on and I can log in but immediately after that
ppp dials out. named only forwards requests to the ISP's DNS and in
named.conf I have set dialup to yes.
The work around is to only enable ppp and start the other services once I
log in but as soon as I start named for example it dials out. after the ppp
timeout expires modem disconnects and everything comes to normal. then I
start squid and the same thing happens, dials out, timeout expires and all
is OK.
Does anyone know what I can do to stop those two named and squid from doing
that... or maybe there is an option in ppp.conf... I have read everything
and tried everything - still no luck. may be I am missing something.

thanx