Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 00:44:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP & buildworld

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> J McKitrick wrote:
> >
> > OK, i read the HOW-TO on buildworld.  But i still have a question about
> > mergemaster.  I didn't see it mentioned in the 47 page doc i read.  Is
> > this used after installing the new world?
> > If i understand correctly, i want this order, right?
> > 1.  CVSUP
> > 2.  Build new kernel
> > 3.  build world/install world
> > 4.  mergemaster
>
> Yes. Haven't used mergemaster myself yet, but it is supposed to assist
> in merging the manual stuff, config files, devices and such. Dreary
> drudge work. But so rewarding. Especially when you get piles of config
> files with as only change the maintainers initials <g>.
>
> Roelof

I personally prefer to do it by hand. One slip of the finger and
mergemaster has removed a file you do not want to loose... It is not
as difficult and tedious as it looks. You can loose all the files in
/etc that are form the date and time you installed last time. Only the
rest should be compared for your own additions/changes.

Marc Schneiders                 ||	In re tam justa
marc@venster.nl                 ||
marc@oldserver.demon.nl         ||	Acta SS. MM. Scillitanorum