Date:      Sun, 01 Sep 2002 14:02:51 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>, riki@unila.ac.id (Riki Winatha)
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr (Giorgos Keramidas), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: directori boot/

At 02:24 PM 9.1.2002 -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:

>> btw.. i imagine that...how to clone the FreeBSD system...
>> like we clone Micro$oft with norton ghost..
>>
>> i got confuse.. how to back up my FreeBSD system..
>> usually.. i just backup with compress the file with tar.gz
>> but it didn't backup my system ( FreeBSD ).
>> could FreeBSD be backed up with some utility like norton ghost or else ?
>> thank's for your advices.
>
>I don't know about ghost, per se.   But for UNIX backup, learn to
>use dump(8) and restore(8).  With those you write backup and restore
>files by file system (partition generally).   They can dump to tape
>or disk files on another drive or zip drive or whatever.
>
>Check out:    man dump     and:    man restore.
>
>Generally for a full backup of a file systems (root (/) and home (/home)
>for examples)
>to tape do:         dump 0af /dev/nrsa0 /
>                    dump 0af /dev/nrsa0 /home
>or
>to disk file do:    dump 0af FULL_FILE_NAME-root /
>                    dump 0af /FULL_FILE_NAME-home /home
>
>Replace FULL_FILE_NAME with the name of the file to which you want to
>write the dump.
>
>////jerry

But, if you want an "image" much like ghost, look at "dd". This will copy
the image from HD0 to HD1 for instance, BUT, HD1 must to be equal or larger
in size to HD0. You won't be able to use any unused portion if larger.....

This would be a typical command for dd:
# dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1 bs=8192

You can experiment with the "bs" size. I use 102400 for example and cuts
the backup time in half.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator