Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 21:09:49 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suspend bug

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 08:30:14PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 14:54:00 +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > >
> > > The bug is actually in su.  It happens with a pre-KSEIII kernel.  Backing
> > > out rev.1.54 of su.c (which was apparently supposed to fix a related bug
> > > tcsh's fg command) fixes it.
> >
> > Feel free to back it out when kernel will be fixed. As workaround it is
> > more useful at this moment, since "suspend + fg" it fixes is more common
> > thing, then "stop $$ + fg"
>
> Er, there is no kernel bug here AFAIK.  I don't really understand rev.1.54
> of su.c.  Is it related to the PAM brokenness that is worked around in
> rev.1.53?

Suspending chpass and vipw does not work correctly (like it does in 4.6.1),
either:

$ chpass
#Changing user information for tim.
*snip*
*^Z*
[1] + Stopped              chpass
$ fg
chpass
[1] + Stopped              chpass
$ fg
chpass
#Changing user information for tim.

I don't know if this is KSE-related or was introduced in the recent
modifications to src/lib/libutil/pw_util.c. crontab -e behaves correctly
when suspended.

Tim