Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:26:07 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Corrupted partition

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 09:51:14AM -0800, Doug Jolley wrote:
> >I'd be careful of using ``/s'' (I take it you're talking about
> >``format /s C:''?). As well as copying the system files it makes the
> >disk/partition bootable and so will overwrite your MBR (and possibly
> >alter the partition table). How do you boot FreeBSD? If you use
> >Booteasy or similar it may not work afterwards.
>
> Yes.  That's exactly the concern I was talking about (although
> I didn't say it nearly so eloquently :)).  Actually, what I have
> is 2 physical hard drives, a primary and a secondary.  They
> pretty much are mirror images of one another and they are both
> bootable.  The idea is that in the event of disaster affecting
> the primary drive, I can always just boot the secondary drive.
> Both drives contain a small dos partition.  I'm not near the
> box to take a look right now; but, it's my recollection that
> I have things set up so that I can boot either FreeBSD or DOS
> on either drive (i.e., 4 boot choices).  It turns out that the
> corrputed DOS partition is on the secondary drive.
>
> So, now that I've better explained the situation, what would you
> suggest in terms of getting that DOS partition repaired?  I don't
> care at all about the data on it.  Once it's repaired, I'll just
> copy the contents of the DOS partition on the primary drive to it.
> As you point out, what I don't want to do is mess up the way things
> boot.  Any thoughts?

I'm not sure. As I said I don't use Booteasy so I don't know how
it works. I take it you can still boot FreeBSD on the second drive?.
If so then you know Booteasy, which I think has to be on both
drives, is OK.

When you say the DOS partition on the second drive is corrupted
what exactly do you mean?. Have you tried booting DOS on the first
drive and running CHKDSK or SCANDISK on the DOS partition on the
second drive? If not you could try this, it may be able to fix it.

I suspect Booteasy lives in the MBR, so you could probably try
formatting the DOS partition on the second drive WITHOUT ``/s''!
and then copying the files from the first drive (the _only_ system
files you need are IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, & COMMAND.COM).

You really need someone who uses Booteasy on 2 drives to help you
here.

Is there anyone reading this who can help?

> Thanks for the input.
>
> >HTH.
>
> ???

Hope This Helps.