Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:00:42 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __sF

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 11:24:32AM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 07:06:47PM +0000, Mark Murray wrote:
> > > I seriously doubt that NAG will support both a
> > > 4.x and 5.x version of their compiler.
> >
> > This shouldn't be a problem. The commercial software Should Not Be(tm)
> > supporting something as variable as CURRENT, and with the STABLE libraries
> > around in COMPAT mode, the compiler Will Just Work(tm) (or should with
> > not much effort).
> >
> > By the time __sF is mainstream, I guess the vendor will have adapted
> > their product to match. Win, win.
> >

> No, it does not just work.  The NAG f95 compiler generates a
> C file.  The C file is compiled by gcc.
>
> f95 -o a a.f90
>
> is equivalent to
>
> f95 -c -o a.c a.f90
> gcc -o a a.c -lf96 -lm -lc
>
> libf96.so is linked against libc.so, which is a symlink
> to libc.so.4 on a 4.x system.  libm.so and libc.so are
> symlinks that point to libm.so.2 and libc.so.5 on 5.x.
> You pick up the wrong libc.so in the above line.

I see where this is breaking. The compat libs work because binaries
are already linked against them. What you're describing is a need to
link against libc.so.4 whilst on a -current box. Much the same as
developing under the Linuxulator: you're not using the native bits.

The problem is not unsolvable, but you also need the 4.x headers
to make it work. The first hurdle is getting NAG f90 to pick up a
random C compiler. The random C compiler then has to pick up the
4.x headers and libraries by having an alternate system includes
and libraries path. With GCC this should be simple enough.