Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 14:45:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <>
To:        "jogegabsd" <jogegabsd@intelnet.net.gt>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: getting X to work on a Compaq Presario laptop

I am using FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE, the version of X which comes on the
installation cdrom (downloaded/burnt the iso image).
   By not working properly, I mean that no matter what type of display
I try to configure it for, it will not startup. I suspect it has
something to do with the refresh frequency but I am not entirely
sure... as far as I undertsnad it the screen on this thing is a set
60hz horizontal refresh, (have no clue what is, nor how to discover the
verticle refresh rate). It attempts to startup using the SVGA server,
but basically deletes all modes stating something like:

(--) SVGA: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 35.52 khz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 48.36 khz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 56.48 khz. Deleted.
... etc

There's about thirty modes it states the above for, at various
resolutions. I've just recently gotten X to actually startup using this
configuration, but I get a screen resolution that looks like 320x200 or
something awfully close to that.

   Any suggestions as to what I might try to tweak w/ in the config
file would be great?

--
Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com